Jayaswal Neco Industries Limited (JNIL) is one of India’s leading Alloy Steel producers in the private sector. The Company is a globally admired organization with superior quality and high grade finished products suited for the core sector industries of the country. The Company has its following division in the State of Chhattisgarh:
- Integrated Steel Plant Division at Siltara Raipur Chhattisgarh with an overall capacity of 1.2 TPA Steel and its allied products.
- 0.40 MTPA HR Coil Division at Village Mandhar, Raipur Chhattisgarh.
- Iron ore mines located at Village Metabodli Tehsil and District Kanker, Chhattisgarh over a lease hold area of 25 Hectares, having an approved mining capacity of 1.00 MTPA ROM.
- Iron ore mines located at Village Chhotedongar, Tehsil and District Narayanpur, Chhattisgarh over a lease hold area of 192.25 hectare, having an approved mining capacity of 2.95 MTPA.
- Limestone Mines located at Village Manpur, Tehsil and District Kawardha, Chhattisgarh over a lease hold area of 14 hectares with an approved mining capacity of 78000 Tons Per annum.
The Company is also committed to enhance the quality of life for all stakeholders through sustainable development with utmost care for the environment. All Company facilities incorporate the most advanced technology available with an ultimate aim to protect the environment and to ensure long term growth using environmentally friendly technology.
The Company strives to protect and improve the environment by also ensuring full compliance of all the statutory terms and conditions laid down by the Ministry of Environment and Forest for Environment Clearance and Forest Clearance. Compliance with the terms and condition laid down by the State Environment Conservation Board for Consent to Operate under the Air and Water Act is also ensured.
The existing Integrated Steel Plant complex is situated at Siltara Raipur Chhattisgarh on and around 481.35 hectares of land and the HR Coil Division of the company is situated over an area of 52.56 Hectare land. Almost 40% of the available land is developed as Green Zone with extensive plantations of various fruits and other plants, which are always admired by the Government as well as the general public.
Environmental Management Plan: "EMP"
Objective- To maintain a high standard of environment protection and enhance the environment quality in and around the Plant / Mining area by the following measures:
- Ensuring usage of modern techniques in plant operation as well as in mining to reduce any adverse impact on the environment.
- Usage of the latest technology to monitor the environment, thereby ensuring correctness of data leading to better planning and control of any environment pollution.
- Optimum usage of available resources to ensure minimum or no waste.
- Better management of waste disposal to ensure there is no environmental damage caused due to handling or reuse of waste.
- Proper and effective monitoring of all the environmental parameters so as to ensure that immediate corrective action is taken as and when desired.
Issues specifically monitored and regularly addressed are as follows:
- Effective utilization of waste heat generated from manufacturing process to produce steam/electricity.
- Effective use of non-metallic slag as soil conditioner hence enhancing the value of soil.
- Usage of Blast furnace slag in cement manufacturing so as to ensure that better quality building material are produced.
- Utilization of solid wastes like mill scales, fines, dust from bag filters and ESP, etc. by agglomeration so as to ensure effective utilization as basic raw material in blast furnace.
- Recycling of wastewater through proper treatment, hence reducing the consumption of water with zero water discharge.
- Control of fugitive dust emissions through appropriate control systems
- Rainwater harvesting schemes to augment the groundwater table
- Greenbelt development and enhancement of greenery and improvement in air quality.
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions through selection of technology and process modification
SPECIFIC MITIGATION MEASURES
- Water Conservation: Collection of wastewater and reprocessing the same through RO treatment plant and maintenance of zero liquid discharge.
- Water Pollution Control: Wastewater is segregated and treated in ETP for reuse.
- Ground water recharge: Ground water recharge provision is developed in the plant premises to ensure improvement in ground water level.
- Noise Pollution Control: Low noise equipment are preferred to the extent possible in the operation of the plant.
- Greenbelt and Greenery Development: More than 40% land area is converted to greenery. Dense greenbelt already developed all along the plant boundary, as well as inside the plant.
- Energy Conservation: Waste heat from flue gases, BF gas are recovered to generate power.
- Vehicular movement on village roads is avoided. Vehicles are regularly maintained, and PUC is ensured for every vehicle used for the purpose of transportation as well as internal movement of goods.
- Drainage system with proper sedimentation pit to trap silt are made to ensure trapping of oil as well as silt flowing out.
- All internal roads are made stable and proper housekeeping is done through road sweeping machines and water sprinklers.
- 2500 trees / Ha space planted in open areas. Nursery established in the plant premises for free distribution of saplings to surrounding villagers for plantation. CPCB guidelines followed for greenbelt development.
- Raw material handling yard is fully covered with water sprinkling system comprising water tank, pipeline network, valves, control system and dedicated manpower.
ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
- Environmental Management Department (EMD) created, which is under the direct control of Top Management.
- Full-fledged laboratory to undertake stack emissions monitoring, ambient air monitoring, meteorological monitoring, wastewater monitoring and noise monitoring will be established within the EMD.